Hi reader! How are you? I hope everything is fine with you. Since I do not intend to share this blog with anyone (at least for now) chances that you will accidentally hit to this webpage is pretty low. That's why I think we can be pretty friendly with each other!
The other day I found myself thinking about how I should avoid to start (or end) a sentence with "Never ever..." The main reason is that I almost "hate" those people who frequently say they would never-ever do something and in a week or two you witness that they actually did it! I understand that changing your opinion is very humane and often circumstances change. But don't you really come to a realization at some point in your life that you should actually be more careful using the "never-ever" phrase? I know some people who use this particular phrase once before breakfast and once after dinner everyday! As an example, my lovely cousin (now I feel a little bad that I used the "hate" word for defining those people as I come to love my cousin) had once showed the hair-color of a random girl on the street and said "Oh my God! Look how awful that color looks! I would never-ever have that hair-color on me!" As you might be guessing by now, it took only two weeks for my cousin to get that same hair-color. And when I confronted her about what she said earlier, she simply shrugged and said "well, yes, I am like that, you know... I change my mind..." Now, what I wanted to tell her that, people can change their minds pretty frequently and that is fine. But isn't it a bit too much to say "never-ever" in a situation like this? I can visualize her shrugging her shoulders to that also, as I know she doesn't care and she just uses it randomly. But that is just a small example. You probably also come across with it pretty often. Everybody is of course free in developing their everyday vocabulary, but what I find is that, if you use this phrase too often as it is the case with my cousin, you end up being surrounded by people who actually doesn't believe you anymore when you make such a big statement. You will probably get used to hearing "Yeaaaah, yeahhh..." all the time and then I wonder if you have the right of being angry towards those people who don't take you seriously. Personally I think that you have wasted your chances of being taken seriously and with respect.
I believe that one of the most important things in building relationships of trust goes around being consistent in things you say and do. And I have more to say on that!
In a nutshell, I never say never (!).
Have a very nice day!
The other day I found myself thinking about how I should avoid to start (or end) a sentence with "Never ever..." The main reason is that I almost "hate" those people who frequently say they would never-ever do something and in a week or two you witness that they actually did it! I understand that changing your opinion is very humane and often circumstances change. But don't you really come to a realization at some point in your life that you should actually be more careful using the "never-ever" phrase? I know some people who use this particular phrase once before breakfast and once after dinner everyday! As an example, my lovely cousin (now I feel a little bad that I used the "hate" word for defining those people as I come to love my cousin) had once showed the hair-color of a random girl on the street and said "Oh my God! Look how awful that color looks! I would never-ever have that hair-color on me!" As you might be guessing by now, it took only two weeks for my cousin to get that same hair-color. And when I confronted her about what she said earlier, she simply shrugged and said "well, yes, I am like that, you know... I change my mind..." Now, what I wanted to tell her that, people can change their minds pretty frequently and that is fine. But isn't it a bit too much to say "never-ever" in a situation like this? I can visualize her shrugging her shoulders to that also, as I know she doesn't care and she just uses it randomly. But that is just a small example. You probably also come across with it pretty often. Everybody is of course free in developing their everyday vocabulary, but what I find is that, if you use this phrase too often as it is the case with my cousin, you end up being surrounded by people who actually doesn't believe you anymore when you make such a big statement. You will probably get used to hearing "Yeaaaah, yeahhh..." all the time and then I wonder if you have the right of being angry towards those people who don't take you seriously. Personally I think that you have wasted your chances of being taken seriously and with respect.
I believe that one of the most important things in building relationships of trust goes around being consistent in things you say and do. And I have more to say on that!
In a nutshell, I never say never (!).
Have a very nice day!
1 comment:
Very nice article! And I know people who says "no" instead of "yes" all the time:
A Are you hungry?
B No
A ok, I will eat stg, lets go to...
And the in the restaurant B says before A:
B Hmm I want to order 2 hamburgers and 1 bla bla bla...
You can derive samples from this one :))
Post a Comment